I love the fact that I have developed talents while growing up that benefit me now at this time in my life. I was raised in the craft business for as long as I remember and I feel fortunate that this talent has been something that I have used and continue to use.
Recently I came across a photo online of front porch all decorated for fall. I saved that photo with intentions to make the Autumn sign for my own porch. Well, needless to say, that has turned into a fun part time job. Not only did I decide to make one for me, but I thought I would see if I could make some to sell. (Hence with the holidays quickly approaching!) So to work I went, painting away. My first batch of signs were a success, I of course kept one for myself, but I was able to quickly get rid of the other three.
With much success, I decided I wanted to expand my ideas and not only make a few more Autumn signs, but I wanted to make some for Christmas as well as everyday signs. So, I spent the majority of Conference weekend painting away. I was able to make four more Autumn signs, two Welcome signs, and two Christmas signs, all to sell at some upcoming holiday boutiques. In the midst of the boutiques, I did take the time to make me three Halloween signs. I only kept one for myself and gave the other two the girls that is tending Lottie for me right now.
Every chance I get, I try to paint. I found myself waking up early in the morning thinking about different ideas that I can use to expand my selection. I am fortunate that I have a large counter in my laundry room that allows me the chance to spread out my stuff and get some work done. I will get up early in the morning before everyone else is up to get either the base coat on the wood or applying vinyl used as my stencils. It is amazing how quickly I can get these put together and it is actually a lot of fun! I love nothing more than to see the end results!
Every chance I get, I try to paint. I found myself waking up early in the morning thinking about different ideas that I can use to expand my selection. I am fortunate that I have a large counter in my laundry room that allows me the chance to spread out my stuff and get some work done. I will get up early in the morning before everyone else is up to get either the base coat on the wood or applying vinyl used as my stencils. It is amazing how quickly I can get these put together and it is actually a lot of fun! I love nothing more than to see the end results!
| Batch #3 - 10.18.2014 |
Well, the signs were a great success! I sold quite a few at boutiques and some at the Copy Station. I also was fortunate enough to get some custom sign orders to personalize Christmas gifts. Not only did they sell good, but they also made for cute add ins as I decorated my own house for holidays. As much fun as it was, I am afraid I do not want to pick up a paint brush for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment